Terms & Conditions
Tradle Exchange Inc. – Terms and Conditions
February 18, 2019
Over at Tradle, we’re pretty laidback about any formal agreements. That’s because our own experience is that people are generally honest and decent, so we usually don’t need more than a firm handshake and a smile. That said, we won’t always get a chance to meet in person before we drop off your first bundle of clothes, so our stuffy lawyer (kidding, he’s actually pretty great) thought that we should at least have some terms and conditions written out to ensure that everyone’s expectations are clear. He actually really pushed us to have some long and complicated agreement similar to a new country’s constitution, but we sent him back to the drawing board to give us something ordinary people like us can understand.
Our Promises to Each Other
- We will treat each other with respect, courtesy, and fairness.
- Tradle owns the clothes. This means that we need them back when they no longer fit your child, no matter what condition they are in. (See also section 12 re: “Worry-Free Insurance Policy”) This is how we do our part in being eco-friendly and sustainable, by not using resources and energy to make new clothes unless we have to. If you fall in love with a tiny piece of clothing and would like to buy it, that’s fine as long as you let us know. There is a $20/item restocking fee.
- Either party can terminate our relationship at any time and for any reason. A pickup will be scheduled at the earliest date and time of your convenience, no longer than 1 week after the decision to terminate the relationship has been made, to retrieve the most recent bundle of clothes still in your possession.
- If you’re unhappy with the level of service, we will first speak with each other informally instead of running off to sue each other. If that doesn’t work, then we agree that we will engage an impartial mediator to help us resolve our differences. That can be anybody as long as we agree on who that person is and he, she, or they are independent of both of us. If mediation doesn’t work, then we can go to court, but we really hope it doesn’t come to that.
- We’d like to think that we offer a great service to new parents and we hope to expand beyond the provincial borders eventually. For that reason, just so we’re all on the same page, the laws of British Columbia will apply to everything we do. If push comes to shove and we need to go to court, we will only go to a court or tribunal in British Columbia and not anywhere else.
- Along with the description of our products and services and details of your transaction at the time of check out, these terms and conditions are the entire agreement between us.
Our Promises to You
- We will deliver clothes based on the scheduled delivery date and time most convenient for you. The clothes can be used as often as possible, and for as long as he or she fits the clothes or until 3 months have passed, whichever comes first. Once either of these things happens, we will coordinate a convenient time that allows us to pick up these gently-used clothes in exchange for fresh clothes that do.
- All our clothes are sourced from local brands and maintained and responsibly disposed of by Tradle. We wash everything between uses with non-toxic, hypo-allergenic and biodegradable laundry detergent in a safe and healthy way for both your child and our environment. We also promise to divert any clothes from landfills, as our collective journey takes us along a path towards zero waste.
- Our clothes are comfortable and safe for newborn skin. If you’re ever unsatisfied, please let us know and we will gladly exchange them for brands that use different fabrics and materials immediately and throughout the remainder of the service.
- Our clothes can be new or gently-used/pre-loved. That means that sometimes the gently-used clothes won’t always look brand new, but we’ll do our best to try and make it that way. If you’re ever dissatisfied, just let us know and we’ll make an immediate exchange.
- If you lose or damage any items of clothing, then don’t worry. Included within the service is our ‘Worry-Free’ insurance policy for any lost, dirtied or damaged item of clothing. Hopefully, this helps you to sleep a bit easier, even if you’re already sleeping a little less than you’re used to.
- We’ll comply with all privacy laws in place. You agree to let us collect and use whatever information you provide to us as long as it’s reasonably necessary to help us serve you better. We won’t disclose your personal or confidential information to anyone else unless required by law to do so or you implicitly or expressly allow us to. We keep all your information stored on servers within Canada, but we do outsource some things, like e-commerce and payment processing. If they transmit or store information outside of Canada, then you’ll need to take things up with them and not us.
- If a friend buys or contributes towards your service as a registry gift and you decide to cancel the service and terminate the relationship, then you agree that we can redistribute the balance of the remaining credit to a not-for-profit charity of our choice. If you have a good reason for not using the registry gift, such as moving away or some other unforeseen circumstances, then we can refund your friend(s) the money.
Your Promises to Us
- You agree to pay us promptly for all products and services we provide as set out in the order you place online. Typically, you pay by credit card, but if that doesn’t work for any reason, you agree that you’ll pay us in some other method that might work.
- You agree that you’ll only use our website and our products for lawful reasons.
- We do our best to provide safe and functional clothing for your new person, but everyone is different. To help us help you, you agree that you’ll take reasonable steps to ensure that what we provide to you meets your needs and if not, you will advise us if the clothing we provide doesn’t do that. This is really important to us so that we can make sure we’re not doing the best we can for you!
- If you don’t pay for our products and services, then you agree to return any clothing we’ve delivered to you within a reasonable time frame.
- We really don’t think it’ll come to that, but if we can’t resolve our disagreements between ourselves and you decide to sue us, then you agree that the maximum amount of money you are entitled to seek or receive is the total amount you have paid us for our products and services regardless of the reason you decide to sue us, including court costs, lawyer fees, disbursements, and other costs. Our lawyer calls this a “limitation of liability” and says that it means we are agreeing to limit the amount of money you might get if we make a mistake. We think this is fair, but if you don’t, then it’s probably best that you don’t use our services.
- You agree to let us change these terms and conditions with notice to you so that we can adapt and change as we continue on our journey helping new parents welcome new people to the world!